Most of us have experienced periodic moments of not liking our jobs. That is normal and to be expected with the ups and downs of any job. But, did you know the latest Gallup polls indicate that 70% of full time employees in the United States are NOT engaged in their jobs, with many in that 70% actually “hating their jobs.” Talk about an epidemic!
When you hate your job, there is a high probability that you hate your life. And while you might feel that you cannot leave your job, because either you need the salary, or it gives you stability that you wouldn’t want to leave, or you feel you don’t have the education for something different--that job might literally be killing you!
Here’s what happens when you hate your job:
Your health pays a severe price, more than you can imagine.
- Hating your job causes weight gain. Yikes! When you hate your job, you are more likely to stress-eat, or lack the time to exercise because your job physically and emotionally drains you . Studies have shown a very real correlation between job dissatisfaction and weight gain.
- Hating your job causes serious stress that can be very dangerous. When you are in a prolonged negative mindset you are prone to irritability, depression, exhaustion, and anxiety. These are all damaging to your emotional well-being and mental health.
- Hating your job seriously compromises your immune system causing you to get sick more often which puts a strain on your body. You tend to catch colds more often, have trouble kicking minor sickness that then leads to further infection or,
- When you hate your job, you are prone to insomnia and sleep interruption with either difficulty in falling asleep or staying asleep. When you do not get enough sleep, your body and mind suffer. You are prone to irritability, lack of motivation, dizziness, fatigue, poor short term memory, and reduced mental clarity.
- All of these impairments tend to spill over into other parts of your life. When you hate your job you are more likely to experience rifts in your relationships as your irritability creates a strain. Due to the negativity, lack of motivation, anxiety, and depression that results when you hate your job, you are prone to distancing yourself from those you care about. Then, not only is work a problem, but your home life or your social life suffers too as this negativity spreads beyond just your work life.
With such a serious list of health concerns, it’s important to address your issues with work…and NOW! Not choosing to do anything about it is actually a choice that you make. And that choice allows all the negativity and ailments to fester. Taking action may look like finding a new job OR working out the negative feelings and circumstances surrounding the job that you have. So….instead of harboring the frustration, disappointment, boredom, or depression—take the steps to Design and Build Your Ultimate Career and Happiest Life.
Join in the conversation at the newly launched Face Book Group Link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/476031362764250/?ref=bookmarks
Until next time... with inspiration,
If you enjoyed this post please share, connect or subscribe to get move involved.